Carnival season is finally upon us! This is my favorite time of the year. The beads, the parades, the balls.. I love it all. And there’s no better way to celebrate Mardi Gras than with a drink based on the most iconic New Orleans carnival dessert, the King Cake! If you can’t get to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this year, this is a great way to celebrate at home with family and friends. The King Cake shot, is a great dessert drink to drink after a meal, after a parade, or during a stay at the bar. It’s also great for a New Orleans/Mardi Gras – themed party. This shot is INCREDIBLY easy to make and tastes just like the real thing! WHAT YOU WILL NEED .5 oz. king cake vodka or vanilla vodka, if king cake-flavored isn’t available .5 oz. amaretto .5 oz. pineapple juice .5 oz. piña colada mix or fresh coconut milk nutmeg ice For dressing: whipped cream and nutmeg. You can also add green, gold, and purple sprinkles or colored sugar to make it more authentic.
In the making of the drink, a professional tumbler and strainers are used, but they are not necessary to get the job done. Basic cups will do for this drink. Also, the drink has been made into a cocktail rather than a shot in the pictures. The only difference is that bigger measurements were used. If you would like to make the cocktail instead of the shot, here are the different measurements: 1.5 oz. king cake vodka or vanilla vodka 1 oz. amaretto 1 oz. pineapple juice 1 oz. piña colada mix or coconut STEP-BY-STEP 1. In a clean, empty shaker, combine the king cake vodka, amaretto, pineapple juice, and piña colada mix.
2. Add 1-2 pinches of nutmeg. Cinnamon can also be used if nutmeg is not available.
3. Add ice.
4. Shake the tumbler vigorously for 3-5 seconds. INSIDER TIP: When shaking tumblers, or even regular cups, you always shake away from everyone (or turn sideways while in front of them). That way, if you were to spill anything, it wouldn’t end up in the faces of those whom you’re serving.
5. Strain mixture into a shot glass.
6. Top with a swirl of whipped cream.
7. Add 1-2 more pinches of nutmeg or cinnamon for added finesse. I also recommend putting a green, purple, and gold spin on them to make them more festive.
Et voila! You have your very own king cake shots! They are a very delicious and fun way to spice up any event!